Rifugio Rosetta
Rifugio Rosetta
Rifugio Rosetta
Sleeping in a mountain hut
Request now
We are open from 18 June until 25 September 2022

History of the Rifugio Rosetta G. Pedrotti in San Martino di Castrozza

One of the oldest mountain huts in Trentino, with a very welcoming ambience thanks to recent renovation and extension work.

In the middle of the high plateau of the Pala Group, slightly east of the pass with the same name, the Rifugio Rosetta G. Pedrotti is one of the oldest refuges of the SAT (the regional climbers’ society). It was built in 1889 planned by the engineer Annibale. After only seven years, the hut has been extended and improved. The alpine guides of the Pale, Bettega, Zagonel, Tavernaro and Zecchini, enjoyed a high reputation and the Pale di San Martino aroused a great interest in the alpine circles. For this reason and the increasing number of visitors, the S.A.T. decided to build a hotel on the Rosetta pass overlooking San Martino di Castrozza.
However, the war soon caused the project to be forgotten and the refuge Rosetta was badly damaged. A fire destroyed nearly everything. After the war, the S.A.T. began to renovate all the refuges. The project of a refuge-hotel on the Rosetta pass was dropped, though it was decided to restore the ruins of the old hut. The Rifugio Rosetta was opened with just 12 beds and was enlarged in 1931: it could then accommodate 40 mountaineers.
During the Second World War, the refuge suffered the same fate: it was set on fire by the German troops in reprisal. After the recent renovation and expansion completed in the year 2000, the refuge is more modern and comfortable.
Through the near cableway built in 1957 and rebuilt a few years ago you can easily reach the refuge (15 min) and enjoy a magnificent 360° panorama. The cableway offers also the opportunity to enjoy a different kind of dining in an inviting hut ambience in the middle of a fabulous mountain world.